Monday, April 13, 2009

Jacob Drinking!

For those of you who don't know, and I'm sure that all of you do, Jacob was born with a swallowing disorder. He has never been able to drink normally because when he does he automatically aspirates, meaning a part of the liquid always goes to his lungs causing him to get very sick with pneumonia. Well, in the last 8 or 9 months Jacob has started to drink and he is drinking more and more. We never really were able to get any answers from Doctors except that he might grow out of it someday. Well, it seems that he is growing out of it! Most recently he has been able to drink very thin liquids like water and juice without any problems, but usually to be safe we still give him thicker liquids to drink like smoothies because he handles them better and there is less risk of him aspirating thicker liquids. These are just some pictures of him enjoying one of his dads famous smoothies. As you can see he is loving it and Brad and I could not be any more happy about the fact that he is making so much progress! We have a swallow study scheduled at the hospital the first week in May and this will be able to tell us if he is truly swallowing normally and safely. We are keeping our fingers crossed!



6 comments:

Tiffanie said...

Yay! Such exciting news. I bet you are so happy! We miss you guys. Come visit!!!

Angie said...

Oh Yay! I am so glad to hear this. I had been wondering how that was going for him now. He is so cute and it looks like you've been doing a lot of fun things lately.

Jen said...

That is so exciting! I am sure he is having so much fun and enjoying the yummy smoothies. How nice to have him drinking before the baby is born. Congrats by the way. That is so exciting. When are you due?

Taylors said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah! That is awesome! Fingers crossed for the swallow study. Keep us updated! I'm so happy for you.

Katrina said...

That is so fantastic! And what a relief to know that he will be moving forward from this.

Emily said...

That is awesome news! We're so happy for you and for Jacob!